Safe Kids Southern Tier New York is led by Southern Tier Health Care System, Inc., which provides dedicated and caring staff, operation support and other resources to assist in achieving our common goal: keeping your kids safe. Based on the needs of the community, this coalition implements evidence-based programs, such as car-seat safety, safe sleep education, and water safety, that help parents and caregivers prevent childhood injuries.
In April 2019, the Safe Kids Southern Tier New York Coalition was formed as a re-imagining of the former Southern Tier Child Health and Safety Team (CHST). For years, CHST investigated the causes of preventable child deaths and developed proactive strategies to eliminate risks. This multidisciplinary team began in Allegany County and later expanded to Cattaraugus and Chautauqua counties. The team comprised professionals from multiple disciplines including public health, social services, health care, law enforcement, child welfare and behavioral health.
Today, as a Safe Kids Worldwide Coalition we are able to be more broadly inclusive of the many other community professionals, services and individuals who are instrumental in the healthy and productive upbringing of children. Parents/caregivers, educators, counselors, educators and even faith leaders deserve a seat at the table.
Safety Resources for Parents and Caregivers
- Poison Control Center: 1-800-222-1222
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
- Please visit the New York State Office of Children and Family Services website for information on infant safe sleep environments and other child safety tips.
- Visit Birth Injury Justice Center to receive assistance to help improve overall quality of life for children and individuals with disabilities.
- Click for Kinship Care in New York State
- Click for Chautauqua Safety Village
- Click for Keeping Children Safe Brochure
- Click for Welcome to Being a Grandparent Brochure
- Click for "The Danger of Leaving Children in Hot, Parked Cars" Video