Safe Kids Southern Tier New York is led by Southern Tier Health Care System, Inc., which provides dedicated and caring staff, operation support and other resources to assist in achieving our common goal: keeping your kids safe. Based on the needs of the community, this coalition implements evidence-based programs, such as car-seat safety, safe sleep education, and water safety, that help parents and caregivers prevent childhood injuries.
In April 2019, the Safe Kids Southern Tier New York Coalition was formed as a re-imagining of the former Southern Tier Child Health and Safety Team (CHST). For years, CHST investigated the causes of preventable child deaths and developed proactive strategies to eliminate risks. This multidisciplinary team began in Allegany County and later expanded to Cattaraugus and Chautauqua counties. The team comprised professionals from multiple disciplines including public health, social services, health care, law enforcement, child welfare and behavioral health.
Today, as a Safe Kids Worldwide Coalition we are able to be more broadly inclusive of the many other community professionals, services and individuals who are instrumental in the healthy and productive upbringing of children. Parents/caregivers, educators, counselors, educators and even faith leaders deserve a seat at the table.
With the support of Johnson & Johnson Consumer Inc. (JJCI) and Procter & Gamble (P&G), Safe Kids Southern Tier New York has purchased cabinet locks to help families in our community prevent medication and poison-related injuries'. If you or a family you know could benefit from a cabinet lock gift, please contact Southern Tier Health Care System, Inc. by calling (716) 372-0624 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Safety Resources for Parents and Caregivers
- Poison Control Center: 1-800-222-1222
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
- Do you need a guide through children's mental health? Visit The Movement for Children's Mental Health - On Our Sleeves for information on mental health and suicide prevention.
- Please visit the New York State Office of Children and Family Services website for information on infant safe sleep environments and other child safety tips.
- Visit Birth Injury Justice Center to receive assistance to help improve overall quality of life for children and individuals with disabilities.
- Visit Backyard Safety for Children — Sprinkler Supply Store for backyard safety and injury prevention tips for kids.
- Visit Baby - HealthyChildren.org or CDC’s Developmental Milestones | CDC for baby safety tips and milestones.
- Click for Kinship Care in New York State
- Click for Welcome to Being a Grandparent Brochure
- Visit Caring for Grandkids and keeping them safe on the road | Bankrate for helpful safety tips and resources for grandparents caring for their grandkids.
- Click for Chautauqua Safety Village
- Click for A Parent's Guide to Toilet Training Special Needs Kids
- Click for Keeping Children Safe Brochure
- Click for "The Danger of Leaving Children in Hot, Parked Cars" Video
- Click for the Safe Kids Southern Tier New York SIDS Awareness page
- Click for Safe Sleep for Your Baby Video
- Click for Baby Safe Sleep Healthy Babies Are Dying
- Click for 8 Simple School Strategies for Students With ADHD (verywellmind.com)
- Click for Managing Classroom Behavior to Maximize Student Learning (trophycentral.com)
- Click for Classroom Management: The Most Common Mistakes and How to Avoid Them (insightstobehavior.com)
- Click for Online Classroom Management: Five Tips for Making the Shift (roomtodiscover.com)